2nd Annual Sprint Triathlon – Sunday, August 7, 2011
Packet Pickup/Dinner – Saturday, August 6, 2011
- Online Registration (recommended!) electronically submit your entry and use the secure payment option (using Visa, Mastercard, or Discover)
- Optional: Download Entry Form for 2011 (PDF) and mail-in with check. (Available in Jan./Feb. 2011)
The event will kick-off with a swim at Central Park in Jones County (get Google Maps link here).
Distance will be 500 yards. Start time is 8:00 AM
Ride from Central Park to Camp Courageous through scenic Jones County.
Approximate distance will be 16 miles.
Run on a scenic course with the finish line at Camp Courageous.
Approximate distance will be about 4K.
About the Camp Courageous Sprint Triathlon
Camp Courageous will be hosting its Second Annual Camp Courageous Sprint Triathlon, presented by AEGON, on Sunday, August 7, 2011, 8:00 am. All net proceeds will go to Camp Courageous, a year-round respite and recreational facility for individuals of all ages with disabilities. Over 5,700 individuals with special needs are served each year.
This event will be a part of the “Heart of America” triathlon series.
Entry fees are based on the division that the athlete(s) will participate in. Divisions available are:
- Entries not accepted after 7 PM on 8/6/2011.
- You can NOT register the day of event.
- All entry fees include an event T-shirt except those entering on 8/1/2011 and after.
- REGISTER ONLINE now or download Entry Form for 2011 here. (PDF – requires Adobe Reader)
All proceeds from this event will go to benefit the over 5,000 individuals with special needs that are served by Camp Courageous each year. For more information call the camp at 319-465-5916 or send email to email@example.com
Thank you to AEGON as the major sponsor for the 2011 event.
- Saturday, August 6, 2011: Pick up your packet from 3 PM to 7 PM at Camp Courageous.
- Enjoy the pre-event dinner being held at Camp Courageous 5 PM to 7 PM. Free for all entered athletes and $5 for all others.
- Take your bike to Central Park and drop it off at the 1st transition area by 8 PM. Area is guarded through the night.
- Sunday, August 7, 2011: Arrive at Camp Courageous as early as possible.
- Setup your gear in the 2nd transition area (bike-to-run) with your running gear.
- Athletes and spectators get on buses and go to Central Park for swim. Buses start at 5:30 AM.
- Athletes setup bike gear and transition bag with bike at Central Park.
- After swimming, athletes put swim gear into transition bag and take off for Camp Courageous.
- Buses will start taking return trips to Camp Courageous as soon as buses fill.
- Event staff will gather transition bags and take them to Camp Courageous.
- Bikers arrive at Camp Courageous and go into 2nd transition area, leave bike, change gear, and start run.
- As runners complete the triathlon they can enjoy fresh fruit and refreshments.
- Athletes can collect printed timing information.
- Awards ceremony.
2011 Frequently Asked Questions:
Where is the first place I should go on event day? Camp Courageous. Although the swim is at Central Park, you’ll want to park at Camp Courageous. You will need to setup the 2nd transition area with your running gear before you leave the camp. You can then take a bus to Central Park (leave your vehicle at the designated parking area near Camp Courageous).
Where is Camp Courageous? Camp Courageous is located 5 miles southeast of Monticello, IA. Physical address for Google Maps is 12007 190th Street, Monticello, IA 52310. It is about a 20 minute drive from Camp Courageous to Central Park.
Where is Central Park (swim location)? Central Park is located in Jones County near Amber, Iowa. Get a link to Google Maps to Central Park here. It is recommended on event day to park at Camp Courageous. There is parking available at Central Park, but traffic attempting to get into the Camp Courageous area after the event has started will slow you down. Take the buses.
What part of the lake at Central Park was be used in 2011 for the swim? The swim is the same as 2010. It will start at the beach area on the southeast side of the lake at Central Park. Swimmers will swim out, round a marker, swim across the lake towards another marker, and exit back at the beginning location of the swim. Distance will be 500 meters. View the route below.
Can I leave my swim gear at Central Park? Will I be able to have my biking gear ready at Central Park?
On the morning of the event, as you arrive at Central Park by bus, you can place your bike gear with your bike inside the transition area. Numbered bags will be available for all entries to bag their swim gear after they exit the lake. Biking gear can be placed in these bags prior to starting the swim so that athletes will be able to make their transition. These bags will be transported to the camp for the athletes where they can be claimed after the race.
What is the bike route from Central Park to Camp Courageous? The 16 miles bike ride will be point-to-point from Central Park to Camp Courageous (same as 2010). Get a link to an interactive route map here or view the map below. Bike racks will be available starting the night before (Aug. 6) at Central Park. The racks will be monitored through the night by event staff. Another set of bike racks will be available at Camp Courageous at the transition point to the running portion.
What was the running route at Camp Courageous for 2010? The running portion of the Camp Courageous Triathlon has changed from 2010. The previous route was an out-and-back on 190th Street. It includes a run through parts of Pictured Rocks camp, down to Pictured Rocks State Park and the Maquoketa River, and back up to and through a mix of paved and non-paved trails inside Camp Courageous. The run will finish at the same place as 2010 (near the camp’s gazebo).
There will be a water station on the run course.
When is packet-pickup? You will need to pick-up your packet on Saturday, August 6, 2011 from 3 PM to 7 PM.
Who can come to the pre-event dinner? Anyone may attend the pre-event dinner which runs from 5 PM to 7 PM in the Camp Courageous lodge. Entered athletes eat free and their guests can eat for $5.00 each.
WHAT’S FOR DINNER? A great meal is planned that includes the main dishes of chicken breasts as well as pasta with seasoned turkey.
Can different people do different legs of the race? Yes. Team entries will be allowed so that one person can swim, another bike, and another can do the run. Select the Team Entry division when you register and provide information on each athlete.
Can one person be part of a team and also be their own entry, too? No. An athlete can be either part of a team or participate as an individual.
What is the Clydesdale-Athena division? Men over 200 lbs. and women over 150 lbs. can enter this division.
What is the age limit for this event? There are no age restrictions. Kids and adults that are prepared to participate in a triathlon are welcome.
Where should I park for the start of this race? Everyone is encouraged to park at the designated areas at Camp Courageous. Parking at Central Park will be limited and is discouraged. Free bus transportation will take athletes and spectators to Central Park for the swim and return them to Camp Courageous.
How can athletes and spectators get between Central Park and Camp Courageous on the day of the event? Free bus transportation will be provided the day of the race between Central Park and Camp Courageous. Everyone is encouraged to park at Camp Courageous and take one of the multiple buses going between the park and camp. Bikes will NOT be allowed on the buses.
When can I put my bike at Central Park? Bike racks will be available starting the night before the event (August 6th). Access to the transition areas will be restricted and monitored the night before the race and on race day to provide adequate security of all athlete’s equipment. Your race number will be required to obtain access to the transition areas at all times (which you get at packet pick-up). Bikes will NOT be allowed on the buses on the day of the event.
Can I camp at Central Park before or after the event? Yes. Contact the park staff directly for details about camping. Get details about Central Park including camping information here.
- Cabins – $15/person. Cabins are air conditioned with large open rooms. Showers and restrooms available. You will need to provide your own linens and clean-up.
- Camping – $5/person (camp does NOT provide tents) available on the camp lawn or wooded camp sites.
- RVs – parking and electrical accommodations are available at Pictured Rocks Camp (located across the street from Camp Courageous). You will need to contact Pictured Rocks Camp directly for details on rates and availability.
Can I get a refund? No. You can contact the camp and have your entry fee converted into a donation to Camp Courageous. Contact the camp for more information.
Attention Media Outlets… if you would like an interview, logos, or other materials for this event then please contact Camp Courageous at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 319-465-5916, ext. 2110.